Objectified response

 when I watched the documentary, an idea that stuck with me was when Karim Rashid was discussing how often, items we interact with daily are modeled after their much less evolved historical counterparts, even though they are not necessarily required to be similar in shape for the object to function. He identifies the shape of a digital camera as an example. 

"Why do we feel like we need to kind of keep revisiting the archetype over and over and over again. digital cameras, for example, the format, proportion, and the fact that they are horizontal rectangles, are modeled off the original silver film camera, so in turn it is the film that defines the shape of the camera. All of a sudden our digital cameras have no film, so why on earth do we have the same shape we have."

-Karim Rashid 

this inspired me to create a shape for a camera that includes space for the necessary mechanics but isn't "camera-shaped" 

I struggled with Tinkercad initially because I knew what I wanted to make, but it was so tedious to do so. I made the negative shapes first and then took them out of the object, but this took a really long time and I found myself discouraged because I felt like for the amount of time I put into it, I wanted a more interesting-looking product. 

                                                                             
I also experimented with adding these colored filter things 
because I think it would be cool if cameras had those.

This probably wouldn't function as a camera, 
but it was fun to play with different shapes and challenge myself
 to create something that would be easy to hold in the hand but not rectangular.








Comments

Popular Posts